Reports: CSA not to send players for PSL 7 in bid to increase focus on domestic cricket
Cricket South Africa (CSA) board has apparently told its players to not participate in the upcoming seventh edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) due to international and domestic commitments. Few South African players like Quinton de Kock, David Miller, Tabraiz Shamsi, Rassie van der Dussen were the players who had been listed in the mini-draft.
Earlier, the six franchises were been told by PCB to pick two additional players to their already existing 18-member squad due to COVID-19. The teams were looking forward due to the mini-draft. However, CSA not sending its players has put those plans on hold. Currently, South Africa are hosting India for a three-match Test and ODI series. Two Tests have been played and the third match is due to start on January 11. After that, the teams will play ODI matches starting from January 19 to 23.
South Africa have also four-day domestic matches, which got underway in December. CSA wants its players to focus on that as well. Meanwhile, according to reports in Cricket Pakistan, sources have claimed that the franchises will now have to pick players from the first draft, which took place on December 18. The PCB have already started to get worried about the smooth conduct of PSL seven.
The tournament is due to get underway on January 27 in Pakistan. Earlier, the PCB also said that it will allow fans to watch the matches live in the stadium. However, a recent spike in COVID-19 cases has made PCB sweat. The board does not have any alternative plans to stage the league outside Pakistan. They had UAE as an option, but this year it can’t conduct the league there owing to Emirates Cricket Board starting their own league in February 2022.